Report abuse

If you are in danger please call 9-1-1 immediately.
This is a free call from any Canadian telephone number.

1. Make report about abuse to Service Canada

All workers in Canada are protected under Canadian law.

Canada takes the abuse of temporary foreign workers (TFW) or the TFW program very seriously. Employers who abuse workers or the program could face a penalty or be banned from the program.

Anyone can report abuse, including:
  • the worker
  • a colleague
  • the employer
  • a member of the public
  • A foreign consulate
  • An advocacy group
Type of abuse you can report
  • Someone is threatening, bullying, or abusing you
  • Someone is threatening your status in Canada
  • You are not allowed to leave your work site or where you live
  • Someone is keeping your passport or documents from you
  • You are not receiving your correct pay or time off
  • You are doing a different job than what you agreed to or what the LMIA says
Things to know when making a report
  • It is important that you tell us as much information as you can
  • The information you tell us is protected by Canada’s privacy laws
  • We will never tell your employer or anyone at your workplace who made the report
  • You do not have to give your name, phone number, or LMIA/work permit number to make a report, but these would help us in case we need more information
  • We will not contact you or share your information without your permission
  • For privacy reasons, we cannot tell you about the status of a report
Information you will need to make the report
  • The name, address and phone number of the business or organization
  • The name(s) or positions of the people involved
  • What is the abuse
Other ways to report abuse
By phone :

Call Service Canada’s telephone tip line: 1-866-602-9448 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

When you call the telephone tip line, you will be able to:

  • Leave a message with the information for Service Canada to investigate, or
  • Talk to a live Service Canada agent in one of more than 200 languages

Agents are available during these hours (Eastern time zone)

  • Monday to Friday: 6:30 am to 8:00 pm
  • Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
In person :

Find a Service Canada Office

By mail :

Send the information to:

Temporary Foreign Worker Program Branch
Service Canada
165 Hotel-de-Ville, Phase 2, 6th Floor, Mailstop L610
Gatineau QC K1A 0J2


2. File a complaint with the CNESST

You can file an online complaint (non-confidential) with the CNESST under the under the Act Respecting Labour Standards for several reasons:

  • Wages
    • If you believe that your employer is not paying wages or other amounts provided for by law
  • Psychological or sexual harassment
    • In the event of psychological or sexual harassment in the workplace, workers can file a complaint with the
      workers can file a complaint with the CNESST.
  • Maintenance of employee status
    • If you believe that your employer has changed your status without reason.
  • Prohibited practice
    • If you believe you are the victim of a practice prohibited by law.
  • Disparity in working conditions
    • If you notice a disparity in your working conditions based on your date of hire.
  • Dismissal without just and sufficient cause
    • If you believe your employer is wrongfully terminating you