Social insurance number for newcomers

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to access government programs and benefits.

Each SIN is assigned to one person and cannot legally be used by another person. You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Keep all documents containing your SIN and personal information in a safe place. Do not keep your SIN with you.

Service Canada now assigns SINs in paper format (SIN confirmation letter). The production of plastic NAS cards has ceased. Cards that have not expired and are currently in circulation can still be used.

If you are the parent of a newborn baby, you can apply for your child’s SIN through the Newborn Registration Service.

If you are an employer, learn about employers ‘responsibilities with respect to their employees’ SINs.

For more information, please contact the Social Insurance Number Program.

Related links


If you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Children aged 12 and over can apply for their own SIN.

Parents and persons acting legally on behalf of the applicant, such as a legal guardian or legal representative, can apply for a SIN on behalf of a child who has not reached the applicable age of majority in province or territory, or on behalf of an adult in their care.

Before submitting an application

Submit a request

After receiving your social insurance number (SIN)