Picture of Marie-Anne DAYÉ

Marie-Anne DAYÉ

Conceptrice - Rédactrice

Reporting a missing temporary foreign worker

Good Day,

The purpose of this message is to provide you with information on how to report a missing temporary foreign worker (TFW) hired under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. For the purposes of this communication, a TFW can be considered “missing” when they fail to report to work without explanation and there is evidence that they do not intend to return, or they do not return to the workplace within a reasonable time frame.
You should report a missing TFW to Service Canada as soon as possible.

If you suspect the occurrence of immigration violations such as human smuggling, human trafficking, overstay, and working without authorization, you should also report a missing TFW to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) as soon as possible.

Please take the following into consideration when deciding whether to report a TFW as missing and deciding whether immigration violations are involved:
A TFW has the same rights as Canadians and permanent residents, including the right to quit their job before the end of their contract.
A TFW has the right to remain on Canadian soil for as long as their temporary residence visa is valid, even if they quit their job or their work contract has ended.
A TFW must respect the conditions of their work permit. This means that they can only work for the employer indicated on their work permit unless they apply for a change of work permit as required by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
A TFW hired under the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP) can work for other SAWP employers if they follow the transfer process as indicated in their contract. This does not require a new work permit.
A SAWP worker may, however, apply for a change of work permit if they wish to find employment outside the SAWP.

Service Canada
To report missing a TFW to Service Canada, employers should prepare an email that includes the following information:
LMIA number(s)
Employer name/Business Number
Name(s) of departed TFW(s)
Departure date
Physical work location
Details on how TFW(s) left
Any other relevant information
The email should be sent to the appropriate email address depending on where your LMIA was processed:

Quebec : EDSC.QC.PTET.INFO-INFO.TFWP.QC.ESDC@servicecanada.gc.ca

Canada Border Services Agency
To report a missing TFW to the Canada Border Services Agency where you have reason to suspect the occurrence of immigration violations, employers should:
Use the secure online form: Report suspicious activity online; or
Call 1-888-502-9060 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Eastern time. Toll-free from Canada and the U.S.

We invite you to share this communication with your respective networks as well as with any colleagues or partners who may require this information. If you have any questions about the TFW Program, please visit Canada.ca.

Thank you in advance for your usual collaboration.

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program
Employment and Social Development Canada

Read other governmental communications here.

Share :


recent articles


Soccer: a universal language

Once again this year, the Corporation de développement économique de la MRC de Montmagny (CDEMM) invited the region’s TFWs to take part in an intercultural soccer tournament pitting six teams

Read More »

Employment insurance also for TFWs

Temporary foreign workers (TFWs) in Baie-Saint-Paul have applied for employment insurance benefits due to a temporary layoff by their employer. Services de main-d’œuvre l’Appui called on Service Canada to help

Read More »

Photo exhibition: the Portneuf TFWs’ journey

Accès Travail Portneuf, an organization funded by the Government of Canada’s Migrant Worker Support Program (MWSP), recently organized a photographic exhibition showcasing some of the Portneuf region’s temporary foreign workers

Read More »